22 February 2014

Stringed beads and emboridery

These are the February blocks that I've made for the Block Lotto - the block is called Beads on a String.   They will finish at 7" square, they are 7.5" unfinished.  Not as difficult to make as I initially thought!

 I belong to the Cape Embroiderers Guild (although I don't stitch much!), I try to attend their monthly meetings as they have interesting speakers and the work on display each time is amazing (and I get to see my great friend!).  This is a little pouch made for them for an event (I think being held in Port Elizabeth) later in the year.  The Aida fabric and threads were provided as well as the pattern and they needed about 150!  Don't you like the lining fabric!  It's 4" x 3.5".

One of the vendors at the Good Hope Quilters' Guild meeting a couple of weeks ago had a selection of jigsaw puzzles with quilt pictures!  Couldn't resist - it will stay sealed until T is home again!

16 February 2014

Missing photos

I thought I had taken some photos, found them, but not many.  This is T's commissioned quilt and the amazing pieced back (being modelled as a garment!) in progress, I don't have a photo of it finished:

Oh, I did have a finish as well, the baby quilt for a teacher at my sister's school:


And a picture of my husband, my son and elder daughter and her partner at the Cape Town Waterfront (part of the working harbour) after visiting the da Vinci exhibition.  Pictures taken after sunset (but the time on the clock-tower is wrong!).

A busyish month...

With no writing here for over a month, where to start!?   My daughter T and her partner were here for three weeks which was wonderful.  In that time she had a single-bed quilt commission (that means I did some cutting!), and hogged my sewing machine!

I was a winner for January's Block Lotto, and have shared the blocks with someone who hadn't yet been lucky.

And have resolved the problem of my the c: drive partition on my laptop running out of space!  Found some free software (Minitool Partition Wizard) that would reallocate the unused space on the d: to c:- worked like a charm!  It doesn't help that I'm still running XP!   Was seriously considering a new laptop - but now think it can wait!

The only bit of sewing done, can't been shown yet - it's a secret!