01 March 2018

Losing Our Mum

Well February came and went, although plenty of sewing, not much picture taking.  (I can see how lousy my stress levels are, in that I had to correct the spelling of every one of the words in that first sentence!)

I had planned to post yesterday being the end of February, but life does not run in straight lines.

Yesterday, the body of my lovely Mum finally gave up on her.  She lived with the aftermath of a stroke three and half years ago, right-side total paralysis and barely able to speak, but with her mind in a state that she was still able to recall everything that was important to her.  For the past week she was feeling unwell and stayed in bed, choosing (I think) not to eat or drink much, and yesterday morning she left us, on sadly what would have been my Dad's 85th birthday.   I had been recently been reading out loud to her Bill Bryson's book about Britain, and we had been laughing and crying over his amazing turns of phrase about the quirkiness of Britian and the British people.  She had come reluctantly to Africa with my Dad, bringing four children and a dog, and she really missed her home country of Wales, her two brothers and her extensive family.  Oh Mam, we all love you.

Instead of my pictures, here are a few of the quilts she made.  Although she had always knitted and sewed our clothes as children, her quilt sewing took off in earnest after losing my Dad.  She loved to do art and craft things, and quilting filled a gap for her.





 

1 comment:

  1. Such lovely quilts she made, and such a great loss for you. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting.