It's International Quilting Day and I intend to sew the whole day, after posting this picture heavy post!. This was supposed to be a quilting weekend away but, because of advice to slow the spread of Covid-19, it was put on hold until happier times.
We thankfully have not yet had a death in South Africa from this, and in spite of the authorities being on the alert and doing their best, if it does spread it will be a disaster in our very crowded poorer areas. Locally, I am concerned for my niece who is a paramedic on an ambulance should things get bad. I have two adult children and extended family in the UK, and my daughter shares that some people there are not taking this seriously enough. It is sort-of surreal though. Since Monday, all my work colleagues are now working from home, and we have no idea at this time for how long this will be. We are not in complete lock-down, but businesses and incomes are already being affected, my husband's fuel station has seen a significant drop in sales, my tour-guide sister will be affected, family members who are in entertainment and hospitality will be affected.
Stay away from people, stay safe and protect the vunerable in our world.
But on to quilting news:
This is a very old project I've been working on for the past month, now named Covid-19. This was started years ago as an improvisional quilt, and I referred to it as 6-7-8, because the central hexies morphed into 7-sided, and then 8-sided shapes were to be next.
It grew to this about two weeks ago:
And now is this, but still some seams to be secured, and bits added on the edges:
I recently gave a few quilts to a quilting friend who co-ordinates quilts for some of the children in care in Cape Town. She had asked for quilts about 130 cm by 170 cm, most of these are about this size. (Sorry J, quilts for my great-nephews still to happen!!)
Sunshine and Shadow blocks - enlarged with borders. Free motion quilted on frame.
This is an adapted pattern from a mystery (Alycia Quilts). I didn't like the reveal layout, so changed it to this. Again free motion quilted on frame.
I have a lot of sample blocks and blocks left over from other projects, blocks that I thought I would like, but didn't, and at our quilt weekend away last September I started putting them together in a row-by-row layout. I filled in with various blue 2.5"strips. The oak leaf blocks were a Block Lotto win - still have more!. More free motion quilting.
A nasty blurry picture! These were also a Block Lotto win. The long-arm ruler and free-motion quilting done by amazing friend, Tracy B - The Quilting Co
Started in a class by Carol - quilt as you go Stars. Oh, the batting was very puffy one, but I did like the effect!
A quilt from one of the three tops made from the pieces from Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice mystery. Free motion quilted on my frame.
Now off to sew!