24 April 2020

The Continuing Quietness

We have been told that the strict lockdown conditions will start to be eased as from next Friday.  To contain the growing virus scourge, this will happen gradually, but maybe slower in the metro areas than the rural areas.  We can't continue much longer without some more economic activity as a large portion of our population will simply starve.  Much has been done to feed as many people as possible, but there are still many not being reached.

I had planned to try and post regularly on a Friday, weekly seems a bit easier than more often.   But, when looking last Friday, most of the photographs from the previous two weeks had been replaced with a grey no-entry type graphic, which promptly sent me into a decline!  After a few days I put my photos back, but lacked the desire to write any more.


These are my RSC blocks for April's colour of light and bright blue.  Four more scrap slabs, and four scrap kites.  Actually, it took very little sewing, as I had some bigger rough slabs tucked away in the box of blue crumbs from the last time this colour had a turn, serendipity!

Finally felt up to playing the blocks from RSC2019's Tiny Tuesdays.  These were a block a week last year.  Tried to alternate square and on point blocks, but did not have an equal number of each, so played and played until this layout seemed the best it would be.  Stitching up was quick, and it was a delight to have on the wall for a few days.

 Frolic ll - with first two borders on.  Yes, somewhat  a bit wavy on the bottom.

And with the final border on.  Still a bit wavy on the sides, but I'm sure the quilting will take care of that!  I have enough pieces and parts left over from this that would probably make other quilt, but decided to file them away for the future.

 I have four loose inch-and-a-half thick polystyrene boards covered in brushed cotton/flannel, as my design walls.  Mostly two out at a time, next to each other, propped up against my bookcases, so quilts don't quite lie perfectly flat on them. 

 The central blocks, of which I have 53, were made last year.  The plan was each month to take RSC colour as the centre of 6-10, and add the previous month's colour as the next round, using string pieces.  Each round was carefully trimmed as big as possible with 90-degree angles, some ended up square and some as rectangles. Each block has six rounds, in the same order, but starting with one of the six colours.

To these 30 blocks a final wide round of either white with a single colour print or a white with black print added.  And trimmed to 12.5-inches square.
 The prints had been stored for some time, and were not getting used much. 

My desk is very close the design wall!
Turned through 90-degrees.  Size at this stage is about 60-inches by 72-inches.

The remaining 23 blocks are being put away to be played with at a future date.  Some have the final round added, but they ended up smaller than these in the quilt top.


This has taken most of the evening to transfer and edit photos, and to write, and I wish I know how other bloggers are able to write more frequently!   For me it is often a tug-of-war between writing and sewing!  But it's useful, and nice, to look back at previous photos.

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy, Karen! So many lovely quilts to see. Thanks for giving up your sewing time to take photos and share them on your blog. It's the photos that are my stumbling block. I admire bloggers who can write and post about their work every day.
    I love your blue blocks. The tiny dashes of red and orange are warm and interesting. It reminds me that I have a very blue quilt tucked away somewhere that needs finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bits of Light/Bright BLUE and THREE quilt tops?!?! That is SEW awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting.