08 January 2022

A Reasonable Start to the New Year

 It is summer here, and today it is hot...which makes it delightful to be indoors with the airconditioning set at a pleasant 24 deg C, until it cools a little outside.   I am looking forward to visiting the Cape Embroiderers Guild for their monthly meeting this afternoon (all masked up, of course), the first meeting for me in over two years.

With the Covid pandemic seemingly waning here a little, our weekly, monthly and quarterly guilds/groups are planning to meet regularly, and with some good luck this should be rewarding for all who attend.

The Good Hope Quilters' Guild has just started a new mystery quilt, "Greenmarket Square", with the fabric requirements listed this week, and the first part out on 14 January.  Having successfully participated in their previous two mysteries, I am all in for this one.  

In South Africa we have a National Quilt Festival every two years, with the bigger regional guilds taking it in turns to host/manage/fund-raise.  It is the GHQG's turn (delayed from last year) and will be held in Stellenbosch in October 2022.  The theme for this one is Diversity, more info here.

 

Recent sewing includes partaking in Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Mystery - Rhododendron Trail

These are the blocks at the end of Part 6.  Before starting I asked my sister what colours she would like as I thought I would like to make this one full sized, and she said Black and Purple..so be it!

 

 

 

 

In keeping with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and because I want to finish more quilts this year, I am piecing backs and making binding with less loved fabrics in the colour of the month.  This month is red, and one back is done!  No picture until it is quilted!  Please go and see what the other RSC quilters are up to on Angela's weekly link up.   I don't dare start on any more blocks just yet...until I get the UFO's under control.

I was hoping to add some photos of quilts actually completed in the past few months, but the uploading is taking a bit too long.  So instead I'll show you the cover of our Guild diary. The photo is of the Guild's 2020 mystery made by one of my friends.

3 comments:

  1. Rhodo Trail looks great in those colors. It's always amazing how different quilts look in other colorways. I'm frequently changing it up like that. Your sister will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your dark and moody background for the Rhody Trail Mystery!! Piecing backings and scrappy bindings in the Color of the Month is a great way to make the RSC work for you. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black and purple suits Bonnie’s mystery so well. Interesting idea to make pieced backings and bindings from the RSC colour of the month. What an excellent idea, especially if it prompts you to finish those UFOs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting.