05 November 2023

Bramble Blooms - Central Applique

Bramble Blooms is under way.  The instructions from Audrey at Quilty Folk were to create/sketch a floral applique for the centre of this project.   Hmmm....my go to sketch papers are 3.5" squares from a paper block, sometimes designing whole quilts on a single piece of paper!   I have no formal (or informal!) art training, but I can draw stick figures, including stick flowers.  The bottom middle one has been a flower I can remember drawing always.  I wanted to keep this a simple as possible as I do very little applique and, although I enjoy the actual hand sewing, I'm sooo....slow.

I took this little sketch and enlarged it on my printer, playing with various scaling options, and reprinting and enlarging again the enlarged page.  10 pages later....

I quite liked that the image was chopped off at the edges on one of the pages, and decided to use the various sizes, trying to give a sense of perspective.  The flowers are all rough cut, and I am not separating the petals (I don't think so at this stage!) to keep it simple. The white pieces are the paper "templates", to be removed.   I want to hand stitch after pinning and basting by machine.

 I started with the straight cut stems, and cutting and sewing was easy, but....how to press?   I don't recall when I bought these, and had never used them, the packaging was still sealed!   They worked like a charm!


8 comments:

  1. The flowers I have chosen are real similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making great progress. The flowers on your backing are so intriguing. I really like it. I'm still in the "what should I do?" stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a fan of the flowers going off of the edge of the centerpiece! Great look.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like someone threw a bouquet with the larger flowers at the bottom and smaller at the top - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your floral design! You are really talented, I am 'borrowing' a design from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are such fun! I'll love watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting.