17 December 2017

Emerging from a blogging slumber

It has been five months in which I did not make the time to blog.  Guilt at not finishing much might have played had a big part.   Some sewing was done in this time, but very few photos taken.  So this is a catch-up post, and a promise to myself to do better.   I am having fun trying out things on a new smart phone (the last one was a non-android smartish-phone)... hope that this will facilitate more posts.  All these photos taken with old phone.

As daughter C decided to go visit her love in Australia, I HAD to finish the two quilts for my Grand-Nephews, so she could take them with her (instead of worrying about the postal service.)  The one for C (born at the beginning of 2017) was a top, and the one for L (born November, the day after she arrived in Aus) was just in the thinking stage when she booked the trip.    The squares on both are mostly novelty prints which, I am glad to say, just about used up all I had.    I couldn't post pictures, as I wanted them to be a surprise.  Both are about 50" x 70".
C's quilt
Back of C's quilt
L's quilt

Back of L's quilt
And with the happy news of daughter T expecting her first-born/my first-grand next March I will have to sew some more!  Although she seems to finishing more quilts than me...at the moment!

I did do some knitting for my grand-niece.  Her name is Grace; my sister, her grand-mother, started a school called Blue Moon Montessori School.  How could I not use this yarn for a cardigan for her!  Except the dye ran when she washed it with all the white baby stuff..some now a pale shade of pink!   Pattern thanks to Ruth .   Have made one in blue for T, pictures only when buttons added!



And some other bits of sewing.  The start of using up 1.5" strips, off to a shaky start, but will give the construction some more thought.  This is one of the RSC projects.

And this is what you do with 1-1.25" wonky bonus half-square triangles.  Sew four together to make a wonky windmill.  Add random purple strings.  Add a variety of 2-2.5" greens and trim to 5".  All good to this point.   Then don't sew into groups of four-with-a-border and groups of four-with-sashings... you get two different size blocks!   Eventually added just six strips of purple to get it all fitting together.  Top done!  But this has been over a long time, even had daughter C sew some of the windmills.  This was her first time sewing anything like this, and as she says, her last!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for visiting.