15 October 2023

Some Sewing and Some Finishes

 Summer is almost upon us, the days are longer and warmer and not too much wind yet.  Not warm enough to swim though.

The big news from here is that I worked my butt off very hard this week preparing our old house for photos for listing with the estate agent.  The garden looks immaculate, and most of the house was tidy enough.  When I gave up wondering where to put some of the clutter, I just opened the nearest cupboard door or drawer and shoved things away.  Not the most sensible way to deal with things, but it worked, for now.

Hopefully the house will sell reasonably quickly and then we face the The Move.  Half of my sewing stuff is in the new house, so the rest will be the next big project.  Am sort of getting excited about this.  Tidied up some of the new garden this weekend until it was too warm to be outside.

Walking continues three times a week, this was a beautiful rainbow taken on one of the days in September;  didn't realise that the rain was heading our way!  Last week I graduated from walking the field to being out on the road.  That rugby field was muddy all through the winter!

Had a haircut last week, and this uplifting board faces one at the basins!  Words to live by.

 The past few weeks have given me some time to sew.

These are a couple of the six-inch 365 blocks that I cut out back in June, time to prep some more.  I think I'm about half-way with this project.  Started in 2016!

 Next up is one 30-centimetre (hand-pieced over paper and appliqued) Dresden plate block as part of a group quilt.  I saw all the other blocks this week, and they are amazing.
 
Crumb slabs, the colour for September at Rainbow Scrap Challenge was Aqua.

Locally we have:
 "A community of quilters making Little Quilts of Love to donate to the parents of stillborn babies."  https://www.facebook.com/LittleQuiltsOfLoveSouthAfrica
These are some of the quilts I assembled from extra units made for/left over from other quilts.  Sides are between 50 and 70 cms, have flannel backing and are only quilted on the edges.  Soft, cuddly and comforting.
 




Last, but not least, I can now share the three quilts I made for my sister's school.  Two of the three age groups each painted a 8 or 9-inch block, the theme for 6-9 years was nature and the 3-6 year olds, was about themselves.  The 9-12 year olds were given precut fabric and asked to design a 7 by 7 block with the fabrics - that was great fun, as they shared and hard-bartered with each other for colours they wanted/needed.   All three quilts were beautifully edge-to-edge quilted by my good friend Tracy at The Quilting Co as getting to my frame was going to be a real challenge!
 


On to some sewing of the neutrals for October!

3 comments:

  1. What a great project you organised with the school. It's an idea our Linus quilt group could use with some of the schools here that want quilts for their nurture rooms.

    Question for you - when you are doing your scrappy quilt do you piece onto a foundation? I've seen many videos where people piece onto muslin (I think they mean just a plain cotton) but they never explain why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mercury, I hope you see this response as you are a no-reply commenter. I don't use a foundation as this makes another layer I don't need/want. I tried it once and thought it a waste of fabric. I think the muslin/cotton gives a little more stability, and I think if you want dead-straight seams on long pieces it might help. I just sew, press, trim and repeat! I have realised that using the tiniest of pieces makes the "new" scrappy fabric heavy-ish, so now trying to mix/balance the scrappy units with other fabric in a quilt top or back.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karen. I had a feeling that the extra layer could become an issue when you come to making the quilt sandwich - it's another layer that would have to be perfectly even. I'm going to try making some quilt blocks from crumbs and then framing them with some strips to give them stability.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting.