24 August 2024

Been away, now back!

Warning:  quite a few pictures!

We had a marvellous trip to visit family in Wales for a month, that is now just a memory, and a trip that went far too quickly!    We didn't quite manage to do all that we had vaguely planned due to darling husband unwell for last two weeks and for a week after returning home - he is quite recovered now.  I think that this is a fine excuse for another visit.

Before leaving I did manage to complete these 14 blocks for the 365 Challenge Quilt.  Means two-thirds of the blocks made!  The dates are from the original emailed patterns in 2016.

This is the dawn taken from the outward bound flight (just past Paris).  Note the clear sky and the cloud bank below.  

And then we descended through that cloud bank to find us amazingly above a second bank!

 
 
My elder daughter makes quilts and is involved with the local Project Linus programme.  These are two of her own quilts being made for friends. Hehe, I got to trim some HSTs for her!



 
My six-year old grandson and I had a lovely day out together at the open-air St. Fagans National Museum of History.  They have many old buildings rescued (and restored) from all parts of Wales, some furnished as they would have been in the past.  They also have inside displays, and I managed to take some photos of the Welsh quilts, and an embroidery, on display.

 






 
These are a few of the quilts that caught my eye at our regional Guild meeting earlier this month.  Most are blurry as were taken from quite a distance, indoors, on a grey day.  I don't have details of the makers, but they are from the Helderberg Group
 
 
At my monthly quilt group we've been presented with a Block of the Month by whichever one of the six sub-groups runs the meeting.   My sub-group (named the Quilt-Maniacs) showed various blocks made from Disappearing Windmills.  Here are some of the results from (already on-hand) 4.5" Windmill/Pinwheel cut into 9 equal squares:






 
Later I stitched them up, and played with the big Windmill block (made from four roughly fat quarter sized pieces, trimmed square, as the starters for the HSTs).

 
I was asked for a specific finished size block,and have done an exercise in two different construction methods for the HST and using different sized starter squares. More to go!
 
 Thanks for reading to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for visiting.