25 April 2022

End of summer

Gosh, it's been two months!!  I really do need to write more often!

Our summer is drawing to a close, the nights are starting to get chilly, and I kept a jersey on all day today.  I have not been totally idle, just a few finishes, and lots of RSC colour sewing.  I read somewhere that one's blood pressure drops when one sits in front of one's sewing machine, I suspect there is some truth in that, as I definitely feel calmer feeding fabric under the needle.

My sweet son will be returning to the UK next month;  I have enjoyed having him here since November and will truly miss him.

Here he is with my dear husband, at the start of the new house kitchen unit construction.

As of last week we now have electricity to the house!  City council will only do pre-paid meters now, so have learnt how to buy units and to add to the meter!


 

My sister won a (tame) game drive at close-ish wildlife centre.  We saw elephants (very far distance), zebras, gemsbok, wildebeest, giraffes, rhino, hippos (their noses in the water), ostriches, lions, other animals and various birds. A very hot day.











 
Sign seen on a door in the foyer of a local girls' school - where we are hosting our biennial National Festival later this year:
 
A panoramic view of my sewing space, the window on the left is the same one as the one on the right!  Looks like I might have tidied up a bit before taking it!
 
And finally a few pictures of sewing done.  March yellows, all bits and strips sewn up (and back in a box):
 
Bonnie Hunter's last mystery, Rhododendron Trail, actually on the frame.  Sewed about a quarter and had to take the machine off as the top thread jammed up in the top mechanism.  Machine went off to the service centre (for the first time), and now back with quilting finished, awaiting trimming and binding.

Found a tub with lots of two colour trimmings, stitched them into columns, also back in the tub, until I find more to add to this new collection.
 
Another start, from that same tub above, think this will become a table topper.
 
Our Good Hope Quilters' Guild recent mystery, Greenmarket Square.  Have stitched on the last borders since taking this picture
And from the left-over grey bits, with others, pieced the back:
 
A gratuitous cat picture.  Two of our three, who all dislike each other!
 
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. It's getting chilly here in Brisbane too. Winter is definitely on the way.
    The two colour trimmings look like they will make for an interesting quilt.
    How wonderful that you could see such a variety of game! It looks very dry and hot.
    P.S. Love the sign! I think I should get myself a new cape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to come across your newsy post, Karen. The wildlife photos are wonderful -- a vacation in your own back yard, or somewhat nearby. The yellow scraps are sunny and your Rhody Trail colorway is so rich. The restroom sign is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting.